Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sue me

Shit, it's been a while. Many things happened. For example: I changed to Mac. Yep, after being a devoted PC guy my entire life, I finally gave in to the slick attack from Apple and the whole VIP treatment that comes along with it. I also had a semi-traumatic visit in Israel, became a Swedish citizen, went to a Muse concert, saw Juno which is definitely the next movie you all want to see, saw No Country For Old Men which is definitely another movie you really want to see, heard almost no notable music in a long while, and finally - got to the realization that if I'll insist on writing in Hebrew I will probably just stop writing. The last few month proved that well. So anyone that has a problem with that - Sue me. As for everybody else, I hope it will be worthwhile.


***********

Now let's get down to business. Niggy Tardust is the breeze I was waiting for in this drought of new music. When I first played track #1 my immidiate impulse was to skip to track #2. And so I did. And then to #3. Not a promising start. But in a way unknown to me the Niggy found its way to my MP3 player and then, on a dark cold Stockholm afternoon, I realized that this shit is blowing me away and I just can't get enough of it. I guess this is the place to tell you that I don't perticulrly like hip-hop. Among my few hundred albums I think you will only find the Beasty Boys and Eminem as representatives of the genre. Yes, Eminem. I know, it's supposed to be kinda embarrassing, but whatchagonnado, I like the guy. Anyway, back to Niggy. Did I say it blew me away? Think about the first time you watched the first scene of Matrix with Trinity kickin' ass. Like that.
I start to believe that Trent Reznor, one of the minds behind the album, has to be one of the most brilliant rock musicians of our time. Some might say "pppfffff..." (as in "you are way way off") and some might say "duhh" (which doesn't need explanation), but it's not that simple. He is really trying hard, you know, to make his music very hard to listen to. Hiding it behind walls of noise, screaming, scratching. Let's face it, most of the time it sounds terrible, almost painful. But right under that surface lies something truely beautiful, intelligent, moving.
Fuck that, I think I'm just talking bullshit again. Go to www.niggytardust.com and get yourself the album. You can pay if you want or just grab it for free. Then listen real good and don't give up, it's great.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back... :-)
(yes, I do read your blog from time to time)