Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We gotta put an end to it

My beloved viking girlfriend once put the idea in my head, that when a song fades out rather than end properly it is a coward and unimaginative solution. Solution to what? To the problem of how the hell do we finish this song. I challange you to give me 5 songs in which there could definitely not be a better ending than a fade-out. What if... What if it was sex, you're going through the whole thing and instead of the propper climax all you got was a slow decline in sensation, everything goes numb and soft... Great, ain't it? No? Ok, should we try it with food? Anyone wants to argue that it's better to eat a steak slowly while it goes cold and tasteless, or do we all agree that a good desert and a drink makes a better finish?

Fade-out is lazy. It is an artist that couldn't finish the job. It's an artist that couldn't be bothered. It's uncreative and sad.
Now, this Brazilian cheerful lot, Cansei De Ser Sexy, I didn't really dig them before but their new release - Donkey - now that's all I want to play lately. It just calls me, "play me... play me...". It's great. Just one thing, why the fuck do all the songs end with a fade-out???

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

משום מה זה קפץ לי ברידר רק עכשיו... השיר הראשון מגניב, השני כבר לא זמין...

Roi said...

Fixed that link, sorry about that. Now you can say that the second one is cool too.

Clockwork Rob said...

I suspect you may have the same copy that I had- in which case the fading is due to the fact that it's a sampler, rather than the actual album.

All the tracks are basically the first minute or so of the song repeated til fade.

So in theory the album should be substanially better than what we've both heard.

Fingers crossed!

(ps i got burnt for hosting it, so heads-up!)

Roi said...

Dude, if you're right it explains a lot of things and proves yet again that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Cheers

Clockwork Rob said...

No worries man, I had them up too before I realised it!

Shachar said...

dude, did I already say how much I love you when you bitch like that?
even when the reason for the bitching is your own incompetence to realise that you got a promo copy. I find that so sweat, I might come down (up?) to Stockholm and pinch your cheek.

btw, Hotel California ends with a perfect fade out. I can't think of any better ending to this song.

Anat said...

I jsuted wanted to add, as it seems like the right forum for it that I used to enjoy sonic Youth until I realised their music is basically their lack of ability to finish songs...

"Hey Jude" is my vote

Anonymous said...

האלבום הזה כל כך מחורבן ומלוטש. כל החספוס, סטיות התקן, והזימה שנטפה מהאלבום הקודם הפכו לסוג של מוצר פופי מהודק ומשעמם.

עם זאת, יכול להיות הרבה יותר גרוע. איך? נסו את הסינגל החדש של בלוק פרטי... בעעעע

Unknown said...

As much as I have to agree with you in general, being the wise ass that I am, I had to come up with a counter example.

So it took me long enough, but I got a legitimate fade out I truly believe in: "Wherever I May Roam".

lesley said...

sorry i just came by to laugh.